Welcome ActiLean Visitor to Health Education on the Internet
Mallet Finger (Baseball Finger) Exercises
(En español, presione aquí)
Mallet Finger (Baseball Finger) Exercises: Illustration
Click here to view a full size picture.
You may do these exercises right away.
- Finger passive range of motion: Gently bend the injured finger with your other hand. Then gently try to straighten out the injured finger with help from your other hand. Repeat slowly, holding for 5 seconds at the end of each motion. Do this 10 times. Do these exercises 3 to 5 times a day.
- Fist making: Make your hand into a fist. If the injured finger will not bend into the fist, try to help it with your other hand. Hold this position for 5 to 10 seconds. Repeat 10 times.
- Object pick-up: Practice picking up small objects, such as coins, marbles, pins, or buttons, with your thumb and injured finger.
- Finger extension: With your palm flat on a table and your fingers straight out, lift each finger straight up one at a time. Hold each finger up for 5 seconds and then put it down. Continue until you have done all 5 fingers. Repeat 10 times.
- Grip strengthening: Squeeze a soft rubber ball and hold the squeeze for 5 seconds. Do 2 sets of 15.
Hall TM & Brody LT. Therapeutic Exercise Moving Toward Function. 3rd ed; Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, 2010.
Last Modified: 2011-02-09
Last Reviewed: 2012-05-01
Website Updated: March 2014
Developed by RelayHealth.
Published by RelayHealth. © 2014 RelayHealth and/or one of its affiliates. All Rights Reserved.
This content is reviewed periodically and is subject to change as new health information becomes available. The information is intended to inform and educate and is not a replacement for medical evaluation, advice, diagnosis or treatment by a healthcare professional.
Legal Notice: Use of these Health Education Materials signifies your agreement to the enclosed ("linked") terms. If you do not agree to all of these terms and conditions of use, do not use this site.
COPYRIGHT © 1996-2010 and patented technologies ((U.S. patents 6,374,274, 6,839,881, and pending patents) ) HEALTH INFORMATICS INTERNATIONAL, INC.
All Rights Reserved.